Monday 9 January 2012

Thinking in Newhaven










Today I took the train to Newhaven Harbour to think. There was nothing going on at this train station, but I felt quite excited seeing the UK border control, as if I was leaving the country. I boarded the next train in the other direction and got off in Newhaven Town, and walked up to the fort, but it was closed for the season. At least I got a good view from up there ...

After the walk, I went to a pub in the marina area with the aim to write and reflect about Swenglish, preparing myself before the big adventure begins. Instead I ended up playing pool with a bunch of friendly builders ...

This would never happen in Sweden. Or would it? In my hometown there isn't even a pub, just a hotel bar with very expensive drinks. That's one thing I really like about England: if you're lonely go to any local pub and there are people willing to chat to you. However, if you're girl there's a risk of being chatted up, instead of being chatted to ... And I do wonder if it will ever come a day when there will be as many women as men in the pubs ...

I did do some good thinking (and note-making) on the train. What I learnt from this day, and what is relevant to my Swenglish project, is that it's best to be spontaneous and go into things with an open mind, instead of trying to control the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment